*** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION ***
European Summer School on
EXPLAINABLE DATA SCIENCE
10-13 September 2019, Kirchberg, Luxembourg
Organised by the European Association for Data Science
Please find the complete program here!
The power of algorithms to detect patterns in data and learn predictive models increases every day. How can we ensure our capability to understand and explain the behaviour of these models keeps pace? This multi-faceted question will be considered from a range of perspectives including exploratory data mining, human-computer interaction, psychology, law, and causal inference in this exciting and timely new Summer School, held in beautiful Luxembourg in early September 2019.
The Summer School is primarily aimed at advanced PhD students, postdoctoral and early-career researchers with an interest and basic grounding in data science, machine learning, and/or statistics. You will learn about important questions and key approaches relating to explainable, human-in-the-loop data science from leading scholars in the field.
TOPICS AND PRESENTERS:
* Human-centric data exploration: Tijl De Bie (U Ghent, Belgium)
* Explanations from a psychological perspective: Christos Bechlivanidis, (University College London, UK)
* Algorithmic Accountability and Transparency through Regulation: Thomas Wischmeyer (U Bielefeld, Germany)
* Making Data Science Intelligible: Simone Stumpf (City, U of London, UK)
* Causal inference from empirical data: Jilles Vreeken (Saarland U, Germany)
On Tuesday 10th of September the Summer School will be opened with a public event around explainable data science:
Peter Flach, University of Bristol and president of EuADS will give a talk on “From Data Mining Processes to Data Science”.
Furthermore, we are excited to announce that Christopher Bishop FRS FREng, Laboratory Director of Microsoft Research Cambridge and world-renowned machine learning scholar and author, will be delivering the inaugural Sabine Krolak-Schwerdt lecture which will be on “Model-Based Machine Learning”. Sabine was the founding President of the European Association for Data Science, until she passed away in late 2017.
Due to generous contributions from our sponsors we are able to keep the registration fee as low as 100 Euro (50 Euro for EuADS members).
To ensure an interactive experience the number of participants is limited so early registration is strongly recommended. Please register by
1. Sending an email with your personal details to firstname.lastname@example.org, with reference to EuADS Summer School 2019 on Explainable Data Science.
2. Transferring 100 Euro (50 Euro for EuADS members) to the Banque et Caisse d’Epargne de l’Etat, Luxembourg (BIC: BCEELULL; IBAN: LU47 0019 4655 6967 1000).
Once the personal details and registration fee have been received you will receive an email confirming your participation.
* Peter Flach (U Bristol, UK; EuADS President)
* Myra Spiliopoulou (U Magdeburg, Germany; EuADS Vice-President)
* Reinhold Decker (U Bielefeld, Germany; EuADS Vice-President)
* Serge Allegrezza (STATEC, Luxembourg; EuADS Treasurer)
* Nils Hachmeister (U Bielefeld, Germany)
* Denise Schroeder (STATEC, Luxembourg)
* Matthias Böhmer (U Luxembourg, Luxembourg)
Conference and Training Centre at the Chambre de Commerce Luxembourg
7, Rue Alcide de Gasperi
L-2981 Luxembourg Kirchberg
* FNR Luxembourg National Research Fund
* STATEC National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies Luxembourg
* Chambre de Commerce Luxembourg
* POST Luxembourg
* BiCDaS, Bielefeld University